GoGuardian has four distinct customer tiers- and the smallest tier (tier 4) customers have less than 1,000 GoGuardian total product licenses. The Tier 4 customer base is the one tier that takes up the most amount of time and attention from our Tech Touch Team in Sales. The Tech Touch team is the frontline support for Sales + Customer Success Teams, who don't have the bandwidth to handle all inbound licensing requests and inquiries that are submitted by Tier 4 customers. We were tasked with creating an informative and intuitive way for users to see how many total licenses they had, and also provide them with the ability to purchase new licenses, increase their license count and renew license agreements.
My contribution to the project:
Role: UX Lead (Product + Design strategy, Research and rapid prototyping)
Supervised: 1 UX Designer
Tools: Sketch, Invision
Working with the PM and the UX Designer, we were able to do a lot of white boarding and exploration as to what the core issue was. We were able to break it down into these key categories:
- Tier 4 customers need a quick way to view how many GoGuardian licenses they have across our suite of products.
- Business goal - free up the Tech Touch Team to focus on core business goals
- Ability for Tier 4 customers to trial, purchase and renew product licenses without any GoGuardian rep intervention
We began running discovery user research sessions where we got a number of insights:
- Customers do not have a clear definition of what a product license truly means
- Customers wanted to know how many licenses they have and what the cost is to add more licenses
- Customers wanted to know who their assigned GoGuardian account rep was in order to engage with them
We did a whole lot of investigative work in trying to understand the complete workflow for the Tech Touch team. We ran a lot of whiteboarding sessions to identify all of the areas that we needed to account for:
Empower customers to manage their GoGuardian licenses.
- Ability to see license counts
- Ability to add new licenses
- Opportunity to trial new products
- Renew product licenses within the product
A common theme that we kept hearing in our discovery user testing sessions was that customers weren't clear as to which product(s) they needed to purchase/renew from GoGuardian - hence the heavy reliance on engaging with the Tech Touch Team. The main issue being that the customer paying the invoice was not the person usually using the product. Typical the most knowledgeable person on their staff wasn't fully aware of what our entire suite of products had to offer. If this feature was built right, then a user would typically only have navigate to this page 1 - 4 times a year. So we should not be expecting users to know all of the intricate differences between each of our products.
During a working session with the PM and the UX Designer, it quickly dawned on me that it would be best if we had a workflow where users could complete a questionnaire in order to see what GoGuardian products could be recommended to them. The conclusion was for us to build a diagnostic test for users to get our guidance on what products best fulfilled their needs for the coming school year. By having folks self direct their needs, could lead to a reduction of users having to rely on our Tech Touch Team to walk them through our suite of products.
Here is the workflow for the diagnostic test:
The diagnostic test was a major hit for our users during usability user testing. Due to build constraints and a handful of business contingencies, the diagnostic test was going to be punted for a future release.
Version 2 Landing Page Refresh
The beta for the feature was released and after 6 onboarding customer feedback sessions, the feature wasn't meeting customer and Tech Touch Team's needs. After completing the discovery phase of the project, I moved on to a different project and our UX Designer had moved on to a different company. I was tapped to step back in and help iterate on the design. We quickly had to pivot the build to make it more intuitive. It was clear that we managed to over engineer the landing page and the most critical information was being lost on the page. In true agile form, the PM, PMO Delivery Manager, back end, front end engineer, QA engineer and I got in a room and cranked out what was absolutely necessary for a user to be able to achieve the goal of viewing and purchasing/renewing licenses.
Within a week we had a brand new design. We tested the new design with 7 users and it was a hit. We shipped the new build and it's led to $6 million in ARR in it's first two quarters!
- We were able to ship a feature that has increased the Tech Touch Team's productivity by 20%
- The feature has generated $6 million in ARR In it's first two quarters
- This was the first feature that involved every department at GoGuardian from Sales, Legal, Marketing and all Product departments!
Although I moved on to other projects, the team is now exploring on building the diagnostic test with the newly appointed Senior UX Designer.